Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Some Thoughts on the Anniversary of 9/11

Six years ago today, the world radically changed for everyone including skateboarders. I recall reading the issue of Transworld Skateboarding that was published following the disaster and seeing the countless company advertisements with patriotic slogans like "God Bless America" or "Let Freedom Ring." Whether these companies were legitimately mourning the loss of thousands of lives or taking advantage of a tragic situation, I don't really care. But what I found most interesting was the call for skateboarders across the globe to embrace their freedom and go skateboarding.

Today I was skateboarding by a statue dedicated to the memory of the victims of the attacks. The statue was in a sort of under-traveled area, but there were still a few homemade posters scattered about the area. The thought occurred to me, most likely as it did for those who made those posters, that I am really lucky I can go about my day in a carefree manner and without worrying about someone to tell me otherwise. I quickly translated this thought into something applicable to skateboarding and decided that I would spend the rest of my session skating in memory of those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks.

I will admit that I wasn't exactly on point with my skating today, but I feel as though I skated for a worthwhile reason. So
I guess if you're reading this, I want to encourage you to do as I did. Go skateboarding in memory of those died on this sacred day. After all, we still have the freedom to skate. So why not make the best of it today and everyday?

No comments: