Friday, September 28, 2007

Awsome! Underwater Plane

I just got the October issue of Scuba Diving Magazine. My grandparents are the one who actually subscribe, but they sent it to me because I liked to read it whenever I am over at their house. Anyway I start to look through it and there on page 19 is an article called the "The Monster of Lake Mead." It had these two pictures as well.

For those of you who can't tell that is one gigantic plane. According to the article this is a B-29 bomber from WWII. They are the type that carried the nuke to Hiroshima. This one apparently never saw action. It just crashed thanks to pilot error. This plane rivals the size of a Boeing 737, being 99 feet long and having a 140-foot wingspan. The wreck was apparently discovered in 2001, and just July they gave out two conditional permits to Sin City Scuba and Tech Diving Limited.

I really think this is beyond a cool dive and wish so much that I could go. Unfortunately the wreck sits at 140 feet, so it requires nitrox to even have a chance of seeing. This dive not only would require extra training, but right now there are just two conditional permits so the dive costs about $450. Man, I wish I could go. Exploring a gigantic plane 140 feet underwater would be beyond amazing.

Hey here is the link to Scuba Diving Magazines home page. If you are interested in them they offer free e-newsletters, as well as the actual magazine.

No comments: