Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Virginia is For Lovers



So my brother is in the Navy and stationed in Virginia for training. This weekend, he is getting his wings. If you didn’t know, this is a pretty big deal. For the occasion, my family and I are driving out to visit him. We are leaving after I get out of class today, and basically I miss half a week of classes. In high school that’d be no big deal, but this is college. I figure as long as I’m out there, might as well check out what kind of snowboarding they have going on.

In order to be prepared for the trip, I googled “snowboarding Virginia” and came up with about 1.5 million results. A bit overwhelming, except for the fact the first result was incredibly helpful. Basically, a map of Virginia with spots marking snow shops and slopes.

Because I will be traveling with my family, I have to narrow down where I can check out. For starters, anything not on I-64 or Highway 33 on the way into Norfolk is ruled out. This cuts the field from 35 to 8 or 9. Only 2 had websites linked from skisite.

The first site I looked into was Freestyle, “ your source for adrenaline sports.” At first glance, their website seems to cover 3 sports: snow, skateboarding, and wake. Closer investigation reveals one skateboard on site and few snowboards. However, this could just be a bad representation of their website. Hopefully I can check out the store in person.

The next site I looked at was Galyan’s now known as Dick’s. Not a specialty store, but an overall sporting goods store, Galyan’s had a huge selection of gear. But this is typical of an online superstore. The reality I’m sure to face is, in person there will be a much smaller selection. I can always hope otherwise.

Other than those two stores, I was pretty unsuccessful on find much about any other store. I did find out there are 3 “Play It Again Sports” in Richmond.

As the trip grows closer I really hope to stop at a couple of these snowboarding shops and find out about some Virginia snowboarding.

No comments: