Thursday, October 11, 2007

Video Review: Let's Do This

Okay I’ve been slacking on posts this week, mainly because I’ve been swamped with other projects need my attention. I did have time, however, to sit down and watch the new Transworld video Let’s Do This. This is Jon Holland’s and Jason Hernandez’s sixth video together, and it might just be the best one to date. With a truly diverse lineup of heavy hitters, Let’s Do This keeps it interesting with lots of great tricks at many rarely seen spots.


East Coast up-and-comer Brian Brown opens the flick with some jazzy, urban skateboarding that is sure to motivate anyone who watches it. Banks seem to be Brian’s forte, as he brings some of the most difficult maneuvers to some of the roughest spots on the East Coast. One of the things that stuck out to me was how much of an improvement he has made since his part in the Adio promo, which dropped about two years ago. That part quite honestly sucked, so congratulations to Mr. Brown for coming through with a great part while filming for an entirely different video, Listen’s Viajeros Locos.


Minnesota legend and Stereo Sound Agent Clint Peterson has the next part in the video. I’ve always been a big fan of Clint, not just because he’s from the Midwest, but because he has a very unique repertoire of tricks. Backside kickflip melons and switch pole jams are just a few of the tricks that the already visually pleasing skateboarder has to offer. Oh and did I mention that Clint has the best backside 360 in all of skateboarding? Vert skaters don’t even have them as dialed as he does.


Peter Smolik has been under the radar since being cut from the Shorty’s squad a few years back. However, his comeback part in Let’s Do This ensures another few years of Smolik stardom. Though he’s a bit sketchy, the SkateMafia front man blew my mind with some of the most technical ledge tricks I have ever seen. Not to mention the fact that Peter kills it on transition. His short but sweet mini-ramp footage coupled with the highly technical street tricks I just talked about, make this part worth watching again and again. Backside tailslide 270 bigspin out… What?!?


Bakersfield’s finest Devine Calloway is featured next. His part features some buttery lines and plenty of bangers down many of skateboarding’s benchmarks. The unfortunate thing about Calloway’s part is that I had seen almost all his tricks in advertisements and magazine articles. For instance, his switch frontside big spin down the Carlsbad gap was in a DC shoes ad about a year ago, this time it’s his last trick. I’m not saying Devine’s part isn’t good, all I’m saying is that I would have liked to see some newer material.


Santa Cruz vato Emmanuel Guzman closes out the video with some heavy duty thrashing. This guys skates most skateparks faster than most people ever will. His huge airs and lightning fast carves are very reminiscent of early John Cardiel parts. But like Cards, Guzman also skates handrails incredible well, assaulting each one with no mercy. So further explain how good he is, I think I read somewhere that E-Man has never had anything other than an opening or closing part to a video. Be looking out for E-man as Thrasher’s Skater of the Year in the not too distant future.


Let’s Do This had me incredibly motivated to go skateboard this week, so I’m sure it will have the same effect on you. I’m amazed that Jon and Jason put out such great videos year after year, so I will be definitely looking forward to the next no doubt on its way soon. They always seem to find a great roster of skaters to include and always have the most interesting skateboarding in the business.

No comments: